I admit it…I cheated a little bit when I made these muffins. I broke down and used a box cake mix-but it was worth the guilty feelings I had, when I took my first bite of these-they are light as air and so mouth-watering! I have had people raving about these, and their mouths literally drop to the floor, when I tell them I cheated with a box cake mix :)! I hope you enjoy these! Please let me know if you try them-I crave feedback…almost as much as I crave these muffins right now. Bon Apetit!
Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Cardamom Ginger Lemon zest whipped cream
- 1 box of Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
- 1 t. Ground dried Ginger or grated fresh Ginger
- 2 t. Cinnamon
- 1/2 t. ground Cloves
- 1/2 t. ground Nutmeg
- 1 t. Vanilla extract (I used vanilla bean paste-but extract will work too)
- 1 t. Imitation Rum extract (optional)
- 3/4 c. Pumpkin puree from can, or fresh
- ADD ALL BOX SPECIFIED INGREDIENTS, but substitute 3/4 cups of pumpkin , for 3/4 cups of the water that is required.
- Blend all Ingredients listed above, and on the box, together with blender for 3 minutes-till creamy and fluffy.
- Using Muffin Tins-grease well, or use liners, and fill to 3/4
Bake according to box specifications, using toothpick to determine when cake is fully cooked. Cool on a rack completely before adding the Whipped Cream Topping recipe below.
Cardamom Ginger Lemon zest whipped cream Topping
- 3/4 c Heavy Whipping Cream *FOR VEGANS-substitute a Vegan Whipped topping
- 4 T. Maple syrup (or to taste)
- 2 t. FRESHLY grated ginger-you can substitute 1/2 t. ground dry ginger
- 1/2 t. Ground cardamom
- 2 T. Lemon zest (from washed Lemon)
- 1/2 t. Ground Cinnamon
- 1 t. Vanilla extract (I used Vanilla bean paste)
- 1/4 t. Imitation Lemon extract (optional)
Using your hand beater-whip whipping cream till stiff peaks form (be careful, or the whipped cream will turn to butter-there is a fine line-don’t overbeat.
Slowly add the maple syrup, and all other ingredients-all while beating at low-speed. Taste, and add more maple syrup if you want it sweeter.
Place a dollop of topping on each muffin and serve immediately.
*TIP~The muffins must be completely cooled before putting the Whipped Cream topping on top, or it will completely melt-it must also be served immediately. You can also use a basic cream cheese frosting recipe (which I will be adding to my blog, with an amazing carrot cake recipe…so watch for it!) instead of the whipped cream-just add all the spices etc that I listed above.